Thursday, June 25, 2015

Minimalist in the Making-Part 2

Over half of my wardrobe is gone, and it feels really good.

I'm serious. 

As you read in my last post about becoming a minimalist, you know that there have been some significant changes in the size and quality of my wardrobe as of late. 

For example, instead of having a closet of 200+ items and two full dressers packed in tight; I now have a closet which holds a comfortable 60 items. This isn't just 60 summertime shirts, or just my dressy clothing I would like to hang up. No. This is the crux of my wardrobe. Every tank top, cardigan, blouse, hoody, running zip up...(you get the picture) is included in the 60 items. The only clothing I have outside of my closet are, undergarments, socks, swimming attire, everyday pants/ running bottoms, dresses and coats. Ok, so that list may sound longer than it should, but all of that fits in 4 dresser drawers (not overflowing) and a small downstairs closet. 

I don't want to give you the impression that I am stopping here. Yes, I have gone through and completed phase 2 as I would call it, but there is still more work to be done before I would consider myself a true minimalist. 

Allow me to explain. 

The Minimalist Phase Break-Down. 

Phase 1: The initial thinking process of desiring change and forming an action plan. 

Phase 2: The first major sweep, where you eliminate the most significant amount of clothing. 

Phase 3: The evaluation of what's left and what still needs to go, finding your style. 

Phase 4: The replacement of core items that are crucial to your everyday style, but aren't currently in good quality (ie: your one pair of jeans that has washed out knees and needs to go, but not until you buy a replacement pair) 

Phase 5: The second minor sweep, where you really get serious about this. All necessary items have been replaced, and you've had time to gauge what your true style is. All things you are still not wearing, or don't fit within your style, are tossed out here. 

Phase 6: The long term minimalist plan. The size and quality of your wardrobe is where you want it to be, and now comes the true test. Embracing this new lifestyle and sticking to it. 

*Just as a side note, these phases were completely created by me, there is no studied philosophy to these phases or set in stone, This is how you must do it, lawI am simply sharing this with you so that you might have a clearer picture of my journey and also for you, if you find it helpful in your own life. I can only speak for myself, but whenever I am faced with a new lifestyle that sounds intriguing, it is extremely hard for me to just make it happen, unless I have a process laid out for me. In the rare case that you might process like I do, your welcome.  

So let's address the thing you may be in question over. Phase 4.

But Lindsey, I thought you were reducing your wardrobe not replenishing it?!? 

Yes and no. 

The items that I am replacing, are just that, replacements. The old will still go away. I realize that life happens, you journey through different seasons, and one in-particular that endures 9 months and guarantees  a wardrobe shift. (NOT announcing anything here, just forward realistic thinking.) So yes, the minimalist tag, doesn't mean I'll never again buy a single item of clothing. It also doesn't condone buying (still less than before) clothing just because It fits my style and I love it. Rather, if there is something that is a true need, not want and I've spent time considering all of the things, I will buy it, and with no regrets. 

I feel the need to mention here, that even though I have "ban" myself from the sales rack rush, that doesn't mean I will only buy expensive things from downtown boutiques. 

That would be very counterproductive. 

I desire to increase in good stewardship. I'm not entirely sure what that will look like in every circumstance from here on out, but I do know that the desire is there and that is what I will be striving for. Shared success in this area is welcomed! 

And so the journey continues!

I'm truly thankful that you stopped by, you're welcomed back anytime! This life is a constant journey isn't it friends? I'm glad you chose to journey with me today, through this part of the woods!






  

No comments:

Post a Comment